Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Rest helps

It's amazing how much good a single day off can do. I had run eight days in a row, which is unusual for me, but in doing so I had taken it easy many of the sessions. Even the day after the Trolley Run I felt good enough to go 6.2 miles, which I did because I knew I had to take Tuesday off anyway. The granddaughter was singing in a concert, after all.
Anyway, I felt fine after that Monday run, but on Tuesday I was sore in some unusual places - particularly my hips. My hip are never sore. As much as I like getting out, I was glad to have the time off.
By this evening after work, though, the soreness was all gone and I was anxious to take advantage of the nice weather. I picked a hilly route, set an easy early pace, and ended up averaging 8:51 for 6.6 miles. That day off really refreshed me. -- Rob

1 comment:

Mike said...

Rob,

Don't forget that rest days are just as important, if not more important, as training days. Even if you're running slower you're not giving your legs any rest time. Even when I was in my best shape I only ran 5 days a week. I would completely take off the day before and the day after my Saturday long run. I think you might be headed for some injuries if you don't give your muscles a chance to rest and rebuild. Not preaching, just experience talking. However, I'm much older than you, you young whipper snapper, so that's a factor also. Come to think of it, you arent's getting any younger either!