Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Mandatory Rest.

My intention was to run a ten miler today but the chiropractor worked me over pretty good and stated that it wouldn't be a good idea to run today. He suggested I rest my hips and run the ten on Thursday. Walked 3 miles with Chris yesterday instead of running. Really starting to feel confident and looking forward to my runs each day now. Two months ago, I knew I had to run, due to the weight gain, but just had trouble finding the motivation. Losing ten to fifteen pounds allowed me to increase my mileage. Looks like my lifestyle is back. It's just comfortable to finally find some kind of a routine. It also really, really helps to have great buds for support and running partners!

Working weekends really plays havoc on any kind of training schedule. I'm feeling my way to try and find the best day for a long run. I'm forced to pretty much take two days off (Saturday and Sunday) due to my work obligations, so that's the problem. Non-the-less, it's just great to have any kind of a running schedule at all.

The reality of it all, is that I no longer worry too much about speed or distance. I've pretty much accomplished all the goals I set when I started with The Runners' Edge program 12 years ago. My goals now are to just stay in some kind of running shape and enter a race once in awhile just for the fun of it. I'm reminded of this quote I read in Runner's World: "If you stay in shape, you don't have to get in shape!" Perhaps I should pay more attention to that! ..............Mike

No comments: