Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Non-running blog.

I suppose in keeping with the spirit of our MRC blogging, I'll submit this non-running, or biking, entry with the sole intention of passing on information and to possibly gain a degree of sympathy from my MRC buddies. Yea, fat chance!

Had the arthroscopic knee surgery yesterday around 11:50. The procedure was completed and I was back in the recovery room at 12:45. It just amazes me how I can be talking to the anesthesiologist one second and the next second someone is waking me up with, "Mike, you can wake up now, we're done!" Of course, I was groggy and falling back asleep off and on, but I finally came to enough to understand instructions which fortunately were documented on a nice yellow paper.

The knee was swollen and wrapped to the point where I had no flexibility, but there was just no pain. They prescribed Vicaden for the pain, but I never picked it up from the drug store. I just didn't need it and didn't want to take it unless absolutely necessary!

I slept all night with the leg elevated and woke up with the ability to put all my weight on the leg with no pain whatsoever. I took all the bandaging off at 10:00 this morning and checked out the three incisions they made for the scope and the instrument they used to shave down the meniscus tear and smooth it off. There is no pain in the two incisions below my knee, but the larger one above the knee was somewhat sore. All of them were swollen, but I expect that will all be gone by this evening.

BTW, I almost bailed on the procedure while waiting to go into the operating room. I was just wondering if I needed this surgery at all. They even gave me a chance to change my mind and I didn't give them the final okay until the very last minute. I'm really, really glad I changed my mind. After all, it sure isn't going to get any better. If I were a less active person, I would have forgone the operation! However, I still have a lot of running and biking experiences to share with my buds and life is just too damn short to miss out on those experiences!

Footnote: I'll be on my bike or even doing a short run tomorrow. I guarantee, due to the heat, it will be a short run!.............Mike

2 comments:

The Men's Running Club of Kansas City said...

Mike,

Please go easy on your knee! Don't overdo it!

Bill

Rob said...

I'm just impressed you could spell anesdezeologist, or whatever.