Sunday, July 3, 2011

Wet again

This was going to be a bike riding day, but the rains came by mid morning and it looked like they'd be around off and on all day long, so that idea got shelved. Shortly after noon the clouds parted some, so I decided I'd try to squeeze in a run. I didn't feel weary at all after Saturday's slow 12-miler, so I thought I could go 7 or 8 miles at a moderate pace.

Everything went fine, but around mile 4 one small dark cloud opened up on me for a few minutes. That blew over and I kept going until I turned around at mile 5. I figured if I took the short way home I'd have about 8 miles. At mile 6, it started raining again though, and this time it was heavier and there was a little lightning. I still had a ways to go, so I picked up the pace and switched to an even shorter route home.

About a half mile from the house Kay called and offered to come and get me, but I ran it in (my pace over the final half mile was 7:50 as if I could outrun a lightning strike).

With the weather pushing me I averaged 8:57 for 7.55 miles, which was faster than I expected to do, but it just goes to prove that if you take it easy on those long runs you an recover much quicker. -- Rob

No comments: