Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Phew! Another Hot One!

Due to the doctors appointment this morning, and some work commitments, I wasn't able to begin my run until 2:30 PM. By then it was in the heat of the day. Although it wasn't as hot as it has been, it was still pretty warm for any fast training miles. Although I'm counting this as a six miler, I actually walked the first half mile and the last half mile. I ran the five miles in between in 54:23 with splits of: 12:13, 11:40, 10:03, 10:26 and 9:55 for a 10:53 average. Not too long ago these slow splits would have bothered me. However, since I'm now pushing 70, I feel extremely fortunate that I'm able to do this at all, I really am.

The nurse at the doctors office this morning couldn't believe that I wasn't on ANY kind of meds at my age. She thought I surely should be on some kind of BP medication, etc. On top of that, the doctor found my age hard to believe. Now doesn't he have a nice bedside manner, that lying bastard?

Well, after the doctors appointment this morning, and discovering that I have to have knee surgery Monday, I'm going to run every day this week and fore go the biking until next week. The doctor said the biking will do my knee good with respect to keeping the blood flow going into the area without any pressure i.e. weight, plus it will keep flexing the knee which will help with the healing process.

Really looking forward to this Saturday's run as well as looking forward to not running with you at our MRC meeting. Don't know how any kind of walking will go, I'll just have to play it by ear as they say.............Mike

No comments: