Friday, July 15, 2011

A three-mile run usually isn't a big thing, but this morning it was. Angela agreed to get up early and go out on a run with her grandfather. She's planning to run her first 5k in August.

In an effort to take advantage of a little cooler weather, we started at 7:30, but "cooler" is a relative thing. It was already hot and humid. The goal was to cover 3 miles on the run, even if there was some walking involved. If she made it, it would be Angela's longest sustained run.

We decided to run on the Longview Lake trail, which I hadn't used for at least 6 years. My recollection was that there was a fair amount of shade along the trail. Bad memory. Most of the part of the trail we were using was sunny, and I knew that would be the first big obstacle to Angela's 3-mile goal. She's not used to running in the heat.

We started off, and I was almost startled at the early pace. Angela was running at well under a 10 min. pace - around 9:30. After a couple minutes, I reigned her in some. Still, the first split was 9:54, which I considered too fast for me, much less Angela, considering the temperature. As the experienced runner, I kicked myself for allowing her to make the 3 mile goal more difficult to reach than it needed to be.

Before starting out we'd agreed to walk between miles, so when the first mile ended, Angela was ready for the breather. I kept the GPS going much of time as we walked a good quarter of a mile, so by the time we started running again the pace was up pretty high.

We ran out to the 1.5 mile mark and turned around. From that point on we walked every half mile with the GPS off. Mile two was 12:03 pace, and I could tell Angela was paying for that fast first mile. She welcomed every walk segment, drank plenty of water, and allowed me to slow the pace.

The last mile was 10:22, which would have been a nice opening split. Angela wanted to know if three miles would be the same distance as the race we are planning to run in August. Well, yes, I said, except for that little one-tenth more. I asked if she wanted to run that one-tenth, too, but she was satisfied with an even 3. Goal attained!

All in all it was a very good run for Angela under extreme conditions. Take 15 degrees off the temperature and I'm confident we would have completed the three miles in under 30 min. As it was, we did the 3 miles in 32.23, for a 10:47 pace. Very respectable.

It's going to be a good race in August.

I came home and went on a 23-mile bike ride. Man, I was thrilled when that one was over. I forgot all about the wind, so the outbound 11.5 was a snap compared to the inbound segment. I was really drained by the time I made it back to the truck. The goal on this ride was just to get some time in the saddle, regardless of the speed.  -- Rob

2 comments:

Mike said...

I assume you were off today. You're absloutely correct in your assesment of your first mile. That first mile should have been 11:00 to 11:30, mile two around 10:30-10:45 and then mile thre at high 9:00s. Angela is learning just like the rest of us did. She wanted to show grandpa how good she's become as a runner, paid the price, but now she has an experience to fall back on.

The Men's Running Club of Kansas City said...

I say quit whinning and keep up the pace! I'd take a fast mile no matter where it landed in the workout....
Bill