Monday, July 25, 2011

Up early

After two 65 min. sessions on the eliptical trainer over the weekend and an 11-mile running week I felt ready today to run on the streets again.
I got up about 5:15 and was on my way in 73-degree weather by 5:30.  The relatively cool temperature was nice, but the dew point was obviously very high. It seemed like no sweat evaporated from my skin. Still, I knew it was the best conditions I could expect all day, and probably all week, so it was worth the effort.
I walked up the hills out of our neighborhood to get the blood moving a little and loosen up my Achilles tendon and calf muscles. My calf muscles were a little sore from my eliptical trainer sessions.
I opened with a 10:16 mile, then had a 9:18 and 9:14. The pace the rest of the way was under 9, and the average was 9:17. I didn't check my pace at all during the run.

I had no problems with the Achilles, but when I got back I could feel the tightness in my calf on the same leg, so I immediately massaged it with a bottle of frozen water.
Nice to get a run in outside. -- Rob

2 comments:

Bill said...

Rob,

Great job pulling back last week and recovering. Your run this morning was fabulous! I'm going to try and follow the training schedule closely these next 4 months and stick to the up 2 weeks/then a lower mileage recovery week as I go.

Bill said...

Rob -- I hit entry too quickly. I meant to add let's keep comparing notes on getting after soreness and injuries early on. Your advice last week really helped!