Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Jell-O Legs!

Although, I only rode 19 miles (exactly) this morning, the route I took was a lot more hilly than I realized. Not only was it hilly, a lot of the hills were very long and steep! I just kept cranking those pedals with a mantra of, "Hilly Hundred, Hilly Hundred" which kept me focused on making it up the hill. My mistake was venturing off into unscouted territory and thinking I knew where I was going to come out. WRONG!

Instead of crossing the dam at Weatherby Lake and coming out on 9 Highway, I figured if I went straight, rather than taking a left at the dam, it would come out on FF Highway west of Parkville. WRONG! I ended up at Blair Road and 45 Highway which is very dangerous for cyclists! There is no shoulder to speak of and the highway is a busy two lane, with very steep uphills and downhills. I had to head back east to 9 highway and 45 highway where I could pick up the trail on 45 Highway. Problem was, it was about a mile to that intersection and there was no way I was going to ride the bike on 45 Highway!!

Easy decision! I got off the bike and walked it to 9 & 45. I felt that the walk would do me good anyway. Got on the bike just before 9 highway and rode home. It took me an hour and fifty four minutes to ride 19 miles! To give you an idea of the hills, I averaged 5:59 minutes per mile. Not too many years ago, at the age of 58, I ran the four mile Trolly Trail run in 23:54 which was just under a 6:00 mile pace and faster than I rode that bike today! I suppose part of it was the steep hills and part of it is the fact I'll be 69 next month.

What is getting to me now is the first day of the Hilly Hundred will be about three times further than I rode today and then have to follow that up the next day with a ride twice as far as I rode today. Man have I got work to do!!!..............Mike

No comments: