Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'm Back, yes? No? Maybe?

Went to the doc for my final follow up after the knee surgery. Evidently, the pain I'm still having in my knee is due to inflammation to the damaged cartilage. He told me I could run or bike as much as I wanted, but the pain is just due to inflammation from the aggravation. I could have received a cortisone shot for it, but declined. He said I could just stick to ibuprofen and ice.

Soooo, I decided to get some kind of a run in today before it got too hot. I began at 9:30 when it was hot but not nearly as hot as it's going to be later today. It was already in the 90s when I began so I walked the first third of a mile and then began to run at a slow pace. I finished the first mile, including the walking, in 13:50, but I almost turned around and returned home a couple of times thinking that it just wasn't worth the pain. I turned my watch off and walked about a minute or so then turned it back on to begin mile two. Finished mile two in 10:47 and turned the watch off again for a minute or so while I walked again. Finished mile three in 10:16 and repeated the walking with the watch off. Mile four was getting pretty challenging as the temperature was climbing. However, I finished mile four in 10:37 and called it good. Knee ached, but I took some Ibuprofen and will ice it down.

Perhaps my running days are numbered now, due to the deterioration of the cartilage in my knee. I didn't tell the doctor that I'm having the same kind of pain in my right knee now. I suppose that makes sense, since both have suffered the same abuse and pounding over the years. I haven't had that sharp pain that would indicate a meniscus tear yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if, it too, showed up in the future.

For now, I'll just be content knowing that I've accomplished what I wanted to, with regards to my running. I'll be okay with just riding the bike if that what it comes to, but I really would like to run one more marathon with my son, David, and cross the finish line with him........Mike

1 comment:

Rob said...

Congrats, Mike, on getting out there. I somehow don't think your marathon days are over, but no matter what, you sure don't have anything more to prove when it comes to running.