Friday, August 5, 2011

Mud Slug!

If I wasn't already running slow enough, it sure doesn't help when you try to run with one to two pounds of mud on your shoes!

I decided to take advantage of the cooler temperature this morning and get some kind of a run/walk in. I walked 1/3rd of a mile and picked up the pace to around 12:00 mpm. I walked a minute after the first mile and kept the pace as comfortable as I could in order not to aggravate my knee. I was around the two and a half mile point when I noticed a new road under construction (still dirt) in a new housing addition. I thought it would be fun to DISCOVER where it went. The road looked solid enough, so I set out to see where it went. It wasn't too long before I felt like my feet weighed ten pounds apiece! I looked down and there was mud caked about 2" to 3" thick on each of my running shoes. I didn't forget that we got some rain this morning, I just didn't think we got that much! I stopped to scrap it off, then began running again.

At any rate, that was the MO for the next 3/4Th's of a mile, jog and scrap, jog and scrap. I finally ended up on AA Highway, where I figured it was going to end anyway, and did a final scrapping on my shoes. By then, my knee was giving me some difficulty, but not so much that I felt like I had to stop.

I ended up running, walking, jogging and scraping 5.2 miles. My knee is still a problem and I'm not sure how long I can keep fighting it. Tomorrow is biking day and I hope to get in between 30-40 miles. Hilly Hundred is a little over two months away and I need to concentrate on increasing my biking mileage...........MIke

2 comments:

Mike said...

Way to go, Mike! You're a stud and my hero! I've never seen anyone as tough and as mentally strong as you. You have it all together! You're the most complete all around athlete I've ever been around. Hopefully, we can spend many more days running and biking!

Bill said...

Mike,

Is it getting crowded with all your multiple personalities around there?

-- Bill