Saturday, August 20, 2011

A long run that really was kind of long


I burned some serious cal today, and yesterday, for that matter.
The schedule called for 14 miles today, so I wanted to get up early and get it done before it got too warm. I had trouble falling asleep last night, then we had a big storm about 2 a.m. that got us out of bed for quite a while. This morning there were trees down all over the place, including on our neighbor's car for the second time this summer. Our trees were unscathed.
Anyway, I slept a little later than I planned and didn't get started until 6:30 a.m. It was cool but pretty humid. The first 9 miles went pretty well. I ran up to my gym, where I took a short break in the air conditioning, refilled my water bottles with refrigerated water, and stood in front of the fan for a couple of minutes.
With the humidity coming on strong, and the temp rising a little, the last 5 miles were a little tougher. I walked about 30 seconds between each mile, kept the pace slow, and stayed hydrated. I finally made it to the end in 2:13:25, a 9:29 pace.  I was pretty gassed by then.
The run probably burned something in the neighborhood of 2000 calories. Yesterday, I had a short weight lifiting session in the morning, and then rode 23.5 miles in the evening with Mike.Between those two I probably burned another 850 calories. I guess I feel like I've addressed my fitness needs for the weekend. Bring on the burgers and pie! -- Rob

No comments: