Friday, August 12, 2011

New Shoes

Over the last 3 weeks, my knee has been hurting and causing me to shorten runs and/or move to the ellipical machine. On Wednesday, I checked my log and confirmed it was time for new shoes. I had 458 miles on this pair of shoes vs. my historic average of hitting knee pain and replacing shoes every 400-500 miles....right on the money again! So I drove out Gary Gribbles and bought the lastest edition of my Brooks shoes plus a similar pair from the Mizuno line.

Ran 8.8 miles in my brand new -- and frankly very clean, very pretty darn it -- Mizunos yesterday on the flat Indian Creek trails. I started at 5:30 in 88 degrees and heavy air (felt like a lot of Ozone) so my outbound was incredibly slow at 11:35's. My return was better at 10:54's as the air got a lot better around 6:30 pm.

Right now, with 2 brand new pairs of shoes with which I will alternate my runs, I feel like that classic breakfast scene in the movie The Big Chill, where Kevin Kline's character gives everyone new running shoes and William Hurt's character says with deep appreciation "I love these shoes. I'm never going to take them off!"

Here's to new shoes!

-- Bill

2 comments:

Mike said...

Bill,

I'm lucky if I can get 350 miles out of my shoes. I've been wearing Asics for over ten years, but have recently switched to Brooks with the same features. I found out that Asics won't give any help to Garry Gribble in the way of promotional material, etc. So I switched to Brooks. Love'em! I have not had any hip problems since I switched.

Rob said...

Hey, I just bought my first pair of Brooks shoes today and will use them in the Komen run Sunday. For the first time ever I've got three pairs of shoes in the rotation: a new pair, racers with 300 miles left on them, and another pair with about 150 miles left.
What does it mean?