Sunday, September 4, 2011

Excellent new route


I was in Iowa for the weekend and planned to get my 14-mile long run done on Saturday, which the forecast suggested would be a nice, cool day. Problem was that it was also rainy, with thunder and lightning, almost all day long.

So, the run was postponed until Sunday morning, and this was a perfect running day. The temperature was 52, and at 7 a.m. the sky was crystal clear and there was a very light breeze out of the north. I headed for the Sauk Trail, a paved trail winding 26 miles through the countryside from Carroll to Lake View.

It was a two-mile downhill-to-flat run from the house to the trailhead, and then a mostly flat five miles from there to the turn-around. Along the way I ran through residential areas, corn fields, forested areas and even a light industrial district. Most of the way was without shade, but there were a few protected areas. At 52 degrees, it really didn't make much difference.

The running conditions were so good that I had difficulty keeping the pace down. Ultimately, I paid for going too fast for the first 12 miles. I started out with a 9:27 and a 9:21, then spent quite a bit of time at or below 9. Mile 9, for instance, was 8:37. I wasn't watching my pace, but of course I knew I was going too fast. I just thought it was no problem because I'd be able to keep it up the whole distance.

Well, that wasn't true. After mile 11, which I ran in 9:06, I suddenly became acutely aware that I was wearing out. I had very little life left in the legs. At about 11.5 miles I ran up to the base of the only significant hill on the whole run and decided to walk it, which probably took 90 seconds or so. That mile was done in 10 min., as were miles 13 and 14.

So, unfortunately, I was unable to finish strong, which is always the goal. Still, It was an enjoyable run on a perfect day and I have nothing to complain about. Overall, I ran the 14 miles in 2:08:55, which is a 9:08 average. Since the last mile was 9:49, I probably ran the first 13.1 miles in right at 2 hours, or possibly just under. Obviously too fast for a "long, slow run."

I need to get my pacing right by next weekend, when I have an 18-mile long run. -- Rob

2 comments:

Mike said...

Rob, I know you stated that you weren't going to race Dallas, but your training times are very indicative of someone who will run under 4 hours. Why don't you go for it?

Bill said...

Rob -- great run yesterday! It was a gorgeous day! Great job! -- Bill