Thursday, September 8, 2011

They should all be this way

Today I went from not running to maybe running to eliptical machine to cautionary run. And it all turned out beautifully.
After Tuesday's easy 4 miler the bone on the outside of my right foot was very sore, as if it had been bruised or even hairline fractured (I always think the worst). I planned to run 7 miles on Wednesday, but cross trained with weights instead to gain an extra day of rest. The foot felt a little better this morning, and seemed to improve as the day wore on. There was still some soreness at the end of the day, though, and that's why I debated whether to run.
Once I put on my running shoes, though, the foot felt much better and I decided to test it with some walking and easy running. It was a beautiful evening, with no wind, temperature below 70 and low humidity. I kept the pace nice and easy, especially early, and just cruised through the miles, hoping at first for 3, then 5 and finally getting all 7 in. I felt so good at the end that I could have easily gone 10, but I didn't need those miles.
The result was 7.2 miles in 1:08:00 for an overall pace of 9:35. Very enjoyable way to end what had been a fatiguing and stressful day at work. Best of all it doesn't seem like the run aggravated my foot any. I'll rest again Friday and then shoot for a successful 18-miler on Saturday. -- Rob

1 comment:

Bill said...

Rob -- another wise example of avoiding injuries. Great run! Last night was a beautiful time to run.

I wanted to ride my bike to work today, as it's the only window for me to do so this week. But that leaves my thighs tight for the next day and I have a 16 miler tomorrow so I drove in today.

I'm determined to stick to the schedule this time around!
--Bill