Saturday, September 17, 2011

Following Mike's Lead

I feel like I should have dedicated this week to Mike on account of the fact that I'm rebuilding mileage one day at a time, working through the groin pull from last weekend's 16 mile run. For the first half of the week, I cross trained: a 20.3 mile bike ride with Mitchell last Sunday that had more hills than I thought when we headed out, a 40 minute elliptical workout on Monday (groin too tender to run), a short but intense 12.8 mile bike loop Tuesday (average speed 15.9 mph), and a travel day (read rest day) on Wednesday. Finally 2 days of 3 mile runs on Thursday and Friday -- 10:14's on Thursday and 10:31's on Friday just aiming for easy miles. Today, I had a 14 mile run with 5 goal pace miles. Overall, I averaged 10:38's and got the 5 pace miles in from mile 6-11 at 10:19's. I was aiming for 10:00's but took the pace that didn't stress the groin muscles. Overall, I'm happy with the result and looking forward to my first 18 mile run next Saturday. I've been impressed with how Mike is mixing in bike rides to let his running legs recover and hopefully my execution of that same strategy keeps me moving forward in the training regime! -- Bill

2 comments:

Mike said...

We'll make it, Bill! We just have to be smart about our training. I think this comes with age and experience, especially in this sport.

Bill said...

AMEN!!!