Sunday, October 9, 2011

After much cajoling from our friend, Bill, I decided to make my first entry. I ran the half today in Wichita's Praire Fire Run. The weather in Wichita was much more runner-friendly, today ,than in K.C.. The temperature was in the low 60's with an overcast sky and occasional light rain. The course was pleasant and more importantly, flat, with only one noticeable hill. We ran down Douglas Ave., one of the main drags, before entering an area of nice older homes near Friends University, past a nice park and then back down Douglas to the finish. I finished in 2:03:52, while still a rather slow time, it beat my previous best time by about 15 minutes. so I was pretty happy. I may need the advice from the rest of you in deciding what pace I should shoot for in my full next month in San Antonio.

Dan G.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Dan,

That's a great time for a new runner! You're right at a 9:00 pace. The research states that you should come in around 4:15 for your full marathon. The rule of thumb is add 10% to your half marathon time, so 10% of your 2:03 (123 minutes) should add 12-15 minutes to your marathon finish time.

Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be please with your marathon in San Antonio. I believe it's a rather flat course as well.

Rob said...

Congrats on a real nice half marathon.

Bill said...

DAn -- that is a wildly strong half marathon! Well done on a great run! You're looking great for San Antonio! --Bill