Monday, October 31, 2011

Very Successful 20 (Sat) and 6 MIlers (today)

Ran 20 miles with Runner's Edge Saturday morning with an unusual combination of course work.  Due to a Katie McClave marching band competition, I had a hard stop at 10:30 am, so I got up and ran 4 miles before Runner's Edge.  My plan was then to run the maximum loop of 14 miles, but once we got on course I discovered that Eladio had shortened it to 12 miles, so I doubled back at mile 8 and added 4 more miles to get my total in of 20.  Beautiful course on full color treed Brookside streets.  Fun visits with Amy Lara (always smiling and laughing!), Chuck Mathy (who ran the St. Louis full last weekend) and various other 11:00 pacers who reported in on their Chicago and Minneapolis marathons.  Based on the canvassing of my pace group, I'm probably looking at a 4:45- 5:00 marathon time in Dallas.  Frankly, I'd love to run faster, but my main goal is to finish a steady, strong race and cement my baseline return to marathoning.

Ran 6 easy miles over lunch today consisting of a 4.3 mile loop at 9:53's outside and a 1.7 mile warm down inside at 10:54's.  Due to October having 5 Saturdays in it, this month's total mileage of 159.5 miles is my second highest running month ever!  October represents my 9th straight month of running since returning to running in February after essentially taking off two and a half years.  I'm very psyched to be back!  --Bill

4 comments:

Mike said...

Impressive, impressive, impressive! All I can say is Old farts rule!!!

What's impressive, Bill, is not just your physical improvement, but your mental strength and determination to get your training in. Most runners won't realize how difficult this is as we get older. It's just to easy to just grab another cup of coffee and say hell with it!

Bill said...

Mike -- I had 2 and a half years of excuse making and THAT plan didn't work at all! I honestly don't think I would have gotten this far without our MRC runs, our blogs, and our constant staying after oneanother. It takes a village and I'm deeply appreciate of the support I've received making this return! Thanks! --Bill

Rob said...

160 miles in the month. That's an incredible total. I did 146 in October, and that seemed like enough. Way to go.

Anonymous said...

Bill,

Congratulations on last weekend. I want to be like you when I grow up. Big plans for more mileage this weekend? Ken