Friday, October 21, 2011

Recovery Week

After the thrill of my first 40+ mile week since April 2008 and the really fun KC half marathon, I thought I would roll right into this week.  In reality, the wisedom of a recovery week became immediately apparent.  Monday through Wednesday, my legs and chest were still tight from the push to the finish Saturday.  I just didn't feel like running.  Looking back, Saturday's 19.1 miler was the 6th straight week of 14+ mile weekend runs (1 run was 14; the others were all in the 16's, then the 19.1).  I needed this recovery week.  So I logged easy runs of 3 and 4.5 Monday and Tuesday and an elliptical cross train on Wednesday.  Finally, last night I logged a 6 mile run that included 4 repeats of 800's -- 2 at 8:57 and 2 at 8:27 pacing.  I felt like running again and I'm looking forward to my weekend:  a short, easy run this afternoon, a rest day Sat., and then the St. Louis half for time on Sunday -- can't wait!  -- Bill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill,

Everytime I read you blog you get longer runs and faster tempos miles. You have improved a bunch in the last year.

Rob said...

Good luck in St. Louis!