Monday, October 24, 2011

A Slower Half Marathon Than I Would Have Like

Ran the St. Louis Rock n Roll Half Marathon yesterday with 21,000 of my closet friends.  Had a blast -- this was a beautiful, big city course with live bands, a road full of runners the entire race, huge spectator crowds, live bands every mile, and a fabulous finish area party with headliner band and free beer in warm fall sunshine.  Very fun experience.  Overall, however, I was slower than I would have liked.  Headed out with the 2:10 pace group with the plan in mind that if the miles were clicking by I would speed up in the back half.  However, I never got in a groove in this race.  I was slightly winded the first 2 miles (10:29 pace) and although I exactly averaged my target 10:00 pace through miles 3 - 7, I just never felt at ease and clicking.  This race was a steady push for me the entire way.  Lost the 2:10 pace group in miles 8 & 9 when they picked up the pace on a 2-mile long uphill and I slowed down to 10:20's.  Lodged two 11:00 miles in next 3 miles to mile 12, and only beat 2:15 by finishing with a 9:50 pace for the finishing 1.1 mile.  Ended up at my "C" plan of 2:14:46 for a 10:17 average overall.

Splits were:  10:29, 10:29, 10:10, 9:56, 9:56, 9:57, 9:59 (miles 3-7 at exactly 10:00 average); 10:22; 10:20; 11:03; 10:19; 10:53 (2 off miles in miles 8-12); 9:58; and 8:37 for the last 0.1 mile.

As Mike noted on Rob's entry, a half marathon 6 weeks out is a good barameter of where I stand.  I am still working towards seeing if I can run a 4:30 in Dallas, but this weekend would indicate that 4:45 is much more likely.  We'll see.

Last thought:  I may make the St. Lous half a target race in the future.  Beautiful city with great hotels 1 block from the race start.  This might be a really fun weekend trip for Lucy and I in the future.  -- Bill

2 comments:

Mike said...

Bill,

So what, that your didn't come in with your expected time. That happens to every runner. Did you have fun?

Looks to me like you may have gone out a little faster than you should have. No matter, you finishd and had a good time.

It also looks to me like you and I are going to have around the same finish time in Dallas! I'll know more about that in a few more weeks. Right now I'm just perfectly content to just finish!

Bill said...

I had a blast at this race! It's been 10 years since I've run in that big a field and it was really, really fun!

I had some other mitigating factors operating here -- the race was hilly, and the two previous nights were both low sleep nights. We got up at 4:45 am Saturday morning to drive to the marching band competition, and I only got 5-6 hours of not so great sleep in the hotel Saturday night. I don't think my start was too fast, since my goal was to find out how 10:00's feel in a race, which I found out. I think the basic problem is that I'm still not knocking down 10:00 miles that easily yet. 10:30's come easily, but 10:00's still take some work for me. To your point, I have a feeling that had I gone out at steady 10:30's for the first half, I still might have turned in the same time, but for the record, I wanted to see if I could launch and hold the 10:00's.

Overall, fun to run in such a larger than life event!