Thursday, October 27, 2011

Successful Interval Workout Today

Today's schedule called for 7 miles with 6 x 800s in the middle.  Opened with 2 miles @ 10:30's, then ran 2 x 800s @ 8:57's; 3 x 800 @ 8:27's and 1 x 800 @ 8:00, each with 0.1 walk inbetween.  Finished with 1.5 miles at 10:31s again.  These are "cheater" intervals since I'm running them inside on a treadmill with zero incline.  That said, I've now logged a weekly interval workout in 5 of the last 6 weeks and I can see steady improvement over the time period.  The 8:57's that were pushes 6 weeks ago are now very doable.  Next week will have 8 intervals in the lower mileage week and I'll be interested in seeing if I can drop the last set another notch faster.  I'm sore right now but the workout was very successful.  -- Bill

3 comments:

Mike said...

Bill,

If you really want to run acurate intervals, and have the time, go to a high school track and log them there.

I'm going to do that tomorrow. I'll start with a two mile warm up then try to adhere to an 8:00 mile pace by running 4:00 halves. The 8:00 is easy to figure out on a track since every 100 meters is marked.


I'll try to hit the first 100 meter mark in 30 seconds, the second one in 60, third in 90, and finish the first lap at two minutes. I try to stay exactly on pace for two laps.

In the past these Yasso 800 have always worked great for me.

In your case

rob said...

I haven't been doing intervals, just a lot of tempo runs. Hope that works.
it's been so long since I've run a marathon it's feeling like a first.

Unknown said...

Great discipline on your intervals. I haven't done any for a few years. Now is the time to focus on long runs.